Title: Cook III
DEPARTMENT: Kitchen FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
JOB TITLE: Cook 3 SUPERVISES: None
REPORTS TO: Demi-Chefs, Sous-Chefs
JOB SUMMARY: Cook III
This is an entry level cook position. Here you will prepare ingredients for cooking, including
portioning, chopping, and storing food. Wash and peel fresh fruits and vegetables. Weigh,
measure, and mix ingredients. Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards,
presentation standards, and food preparation checklist. Prepare cold foods. Operate ovens, stoves, grills, pizza ovens, and fryers. Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently.
Monitor food quality while preparing food. Set-up and break down work station. Serve food in
proper portions onto proper receptacles. Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knives, and equipment. Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances
and food. As a cook you’ll be an important part of every meal we serve and each member’s experience in our restaurants and banquets. We take pride in our quality of food and clean effective kitchen. Our standards can only be maintained through great people like you who share our values and desire to do the very best job possible for our member’s every day. Your role as a line cook is extremely important to our success. You will be trained on how to perform your job. Your speed, consistency, and efficiency are imperative to the smooth operation of our kitchen and the satisfaction of our guest. You will be responsible for high quality products and the necessary tools and equipment to complete your daily duties. You will check out with your lead cooks and supervisors before going home after your shift.
Keeps in mind that the kitchen is a “TEAM” operation, the AM shift will prep for the PM shift and vice versa. Assists with preparation of other food products in any other area of the kitchen as directed by immediate supervisor.
Must clean station at the end of each shift, this includes cleaning the workstation as well as removal of any trash accumulated during the shift. Employee should leave station in an orderly fashion after sanitizing and removing soiled items.
Possesses technical skills needed to fulfill required job duties. Must have sound knowledge of menu and abbreviation. Must possess skills to determine and prepare food to proper taste, seasoning, doneness, presentation, timing and product utilization.
Makes sure oncoming shift is in place and is aware of any outstanding orders.
Must be able to take direction from immediate supervisors. Prepares items assigned on daily production board.
Attends mandatory kitchen meetings.
Understands and uses standardized recipe cards and production sheets. Produces correct amount of mise en place for daily use by using recipe cards and production sheets, with as little waste of time or product as possible, ensuring that time and materials are not wasted.
Understands and follows sanitation practices. Properly cools and stores all foods. Cleans and sanitizes workstation and equipment. Keeps station and coolers clean and neat not only during his/her shift, but for the oncoming shift as well. Cleans spills immediately after they occur.
Returns appropriately packaged unused food products, soiled food preparation utensils and other small-ware items to the proper storage areas.
Checks in with immediate supervisor regarding any banquet assigned food production that needs to be completed.
Properly assembles all tools and utensils needed to accomplish job duties. Exhibits ability to prioritize work and ensure that immediate needs are met.
Understands and shows commitment to teamwork, knowing when to ask for and/or offer help to colleagues.
Submits daily requisitions to the respective departments before leaving for the day, even if not scheduled for the next shift.
Maintains safety and security at workstation. Demonstrates proper knife, tool, and kitchen equipment handling skills.
Checks in with the respective Sous Chef at the beginning and at the end of each shift.
Coordinates break time with respective Sous Chef. Break(s) must be taken in the designated break areas, which are the locker rooms or staff cafeteria.
Accommodates any reasonable special requests from club members.
Pursues an active interest in culinary development beyond the scope of his/ her specific area of responsibility. Shows initiative to pursue continuing education courses in the culinary field.
JOB SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Must develop a complete knowledge of all pertinent common soups, starches, proteins, and sauces and the production thereof.
2. Prepares items as assigned by Demi and/or Sous Chef, or kitchen management production board.
3. Notifies Sous Chef, or kitchen management in advance of unexpected product shortages.
4. Carefully follows standard recipes when pre-preparing and preparing all items.
5. Responsible for the mise en place and preparation of daily kitchen station.
6. Responsible for setting up and maintaining the salt and pepper tray, including butter, tasting spoons, and olive oil.
7. Performs assigned daily duties which include breaking down the quick chill, cooking bacon, and setting up of all necessary cooking utensils (spoons, ladles, wire whips, spatulas, etc.)
8. Prepares items as assigned by Sous Chef or Demi Chef (supervisor), or kitchen management production board.
9. Keeps mise en place in banquet walk-in cooler carts, and hot food prepared sauces / soups in the a la carte walk-in cooler clean and organized at all times.
10. Makes sure all items are wrapped, dated, labeled, and stored in proper fashion in the walk-in cooler.
11. Tastes all prepared items on a daily basis, bringing any concerns to the attention of the
Sous Chef, or kitchen management.
12. Maintains safety and security in work station and cleans workstation and equipment.
13. Check with appropriate kitchen management prior to throwing away food.
14. Assist Garde Manger department when required on Banquet functions.
15. Check with demi chef or lead cook prior to throwing away any questionable food.
16. Sets station up as outlined by the station set-up sheet.
17. May be responsible for taking temperature control checks, and / or organizing the walk-in cooler as assigned by the sous chef or demi chef on the production board. Temperature check sheets are to be submitted to the a la carte sous chef by 11 am.
19. Performs any other duties requested by Pantry Cook – Cook 2, a la carte Sous Chef, and other kitchen management.
EDUCATIONAL / WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Must be 18 years of age or older.
· Must have an educational / work history reference list available upon request.
· Must have some culinary work experience to pass the practical qualification test.
· Will vary from department to department and position. Working environment is not limited to hot, cold, wet, and / or humid..
l Must have the knowledge of basic culinary fundamentals.
l Must have a working knowledge of sauces, stocks, dressings and butchering skills.
l Must be able to communicate in and have a basic comprehension of the English language, or be enrolled in classes to enhance the ability to communicate in and comprehend English.
l Must be able to work a flexible schedule and/or over time as needed.
l Must be available to work weekends and holidays.
l Must work well with others as a team and help co-workers as needed.
l Should have an eye for detail.
l Must possess honesty and integrity.
l Must be courteous and tactful at all times towards club members, superiors, and co-workers.
l Must be innovative and look for areas that need improvement.
l Must treat others with kindness and respect at all times.
l Must perform other duties as required.
l Must conduct him/ herself in a professional manner when on shift.
l Must arrive in and maintain a professional appearance at work.
l Must have a dependable means of transportation to and from work.
l Must provide own knives and some specialty small tools, as required by job.
1. Clean pressed white chef coat uniforms.
2. Chef hat and apron must be worn at all times in the kitchen.
3. Side towel and apron must be removed during restroom and break periods outside the kitchen.
4. Black kitchen pants or black and white checkered. No baggy styles.
5. Full foot leather closed back shoes with soles that are non-slip, non-scuffing, oil resistant and heels no higher than 1 ½ inches.
6. Socks must be worn at all times and must be black.
STANDARD PERSONAL HYGIENE AND APPEARANCE
1. Hair – Must be clean, of natural shades and well maintained. The culinary standard does not include extremes in dying, styling or coloring. Hair length must be maintained above the top of the collar by means of cut, food grade hairnet or restraint. Students must be clean shaven at all times and sideburns neatly trimmed no lower than the earlobe. Mustaches are permitted if neatly trimmed above the upper lip and corners of the mouth.
2. Make-up – The appropriate use of make-up is to enhance natural features and create a fresh appearance and must be kept at a minimum. Conservative lipstick permitted.
3. Cologne/Perfume – The use of antiperspirant and/or deodorant is recommended. The use of strong, heavy scents and fragrances is unacceptable.
4. Fingernails – Kept clean and trimmed to the end of the finger. No nail polish permitted.
5. Jewelry – The only facial jewelry permitted is a pair of stud earrings worn in the earlobe. Dangle or hoop earrings are not allowed. Wristwatches must be removed from wrists but may be secured on the jacket. One, plain wedding band is allowed. Any other form of jewelry is unacceptable.
6. Keeps cuts, abrasions, and open sores covered.
7. Uses food safe rubber gloves when necessary.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to:
Stand, walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and/or sit up to 10 hours per day.
Use hands to reach, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools and/or controls.
Hear and speak sufficient enough to communicate with members, guests, and co-workers.
Read, possess distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Push, pull or lift up to 40 lbs.
Be independently mobile throughout the Clubhouse.
I have read and agree that the contents of this Job Description accurately reflect what is expected in my current position.
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of any position. Incumbents will follow any other instruction, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor.
Please send your resume to email@example.com to be matched.